excerpted primarily from the copyrighted works of Dr. A.B. Howard
The body has regular channels of elimination – one of which is the lungs. The lungs turn their wastes into gases, which are then breathed out. Remember: To keep your eliminative systems functioning properly, it’s advisable to trim the major waste producers such as: milk products, sugar, excess protein or fat, and additive-laden processed foods, baked goods, candy and chocolate. (Take plenty of exercise, get lots of fresh air and drink purified water.)
Pollution is one threat to the efficiency of your respiratory system; however, proper breathing is essential. In proper breathing, you can feel the muscles of the stomach wall expand and contract. This ensures that enough oxygen gets into your llungs and is thereby circulated via the blood to your whole body.
When you have all your nutritional basics covered, and are supporting the body with “right living”, many problems just disappear or are easier to fix.
The following herbs are used to enhance the lung function. In addition to taking the herbs internally, they can also be rubbed on the chest and back three to four times per day.
1. BLESSED THISTLE helps regulate menstrual cycle; used in treating liver problems; improves the appetite; lowers fever; helps to stop bleeding.
2. LAPACHO (Also known as Pau D’Arco): This is an immune stimulant and is effective against bacterial, fungal, viral, parasitic, and yeast infections. It also is considered to be an anti-inflammatory agent.
3. MULLEIN: It is a good expectorant and, in the process of clearing out congestion, it also soothes irritation in the throat and bronchial passages. As an antispasmodic, mullein can relieve stomach cramps and help control diarrhea. Mullein is an old-time remedy which is specific for bronchitis with hard cough and soreness. It is also a herb for cold and congestion. The leaves and flowers are used to reduce mucous and stimulate coughing up of phlegm.
4. PEPPERMINT: This is used to calm queasy stomachs and to quell indigestion. It is a general stimulant. This herb has a long history as a digestive aid and as a treatment for the symptoms of cough, colds, and fever. It kills microorganisms that can cause food poisoning, relieves the pain of sprains and strains, and helps freshen lingering bad breath. It also is good for nausea and vomiting (colic, food allergies, indigestion, motion sickness, Crohn’s disease, hepatitis, food poisoning, gallstones, headache and stress, irritable bowel syndrome).
5. VITAMIN E
6. YARROW: This is an anti-inflammatory herb useful in the treatment of diarrhea, flatulence, gastrointestinal inflammation, and stomach cramps. This herb can reduce smooth-muscle spasms, which makes it useful for certain gastrointestinal conditions. Yarrow is also a traditional stomach tonic and digestive aid.
7.YERBA SANTA: Quiets a nagging cough; helps clear chest of phlegm; relieves congestion due to allergy.
YERBA SANTA herbal combination, adds helpful herbs in combination.
The following herbs can be used to “cleanse” the lungs: YERBA SANTA COMBINATION or BURDOCK, YELLOW DOCK, RED CLOVER BLENDED herbal combination, WHOLE APRICOT:
1. BURDOCK helps rid body of excess water weight; soothes pain caused by arthritis, rheumatism, and backache; relieves skin irritation.
2. RED CLOVER BLENDED deals with cancer; blood cleanser; tumors; lymphatic; skin disorders; kidneys. It is one of the best mucous clearing sources in nature. It contains the trace element, Molybdenum.
3. WHOLE APRICOT
4. YELLOW DOCK is an excellent blood cleanser, tonic and builder, working through increasing the ability of the liver and related organs to strain and purify the blood and lymph system, it achieves its tonic properties through the astringent purification of the blood supply to the glands. It has one of the highest iron contents in nature and is an effective tonic treatment for anemia during pregnancy and anemia in general. It is used to treat skin diseases, liver disorders and iron deficiency. It will also nourish the spleen.
To relieve congestion or pain , rub OIL OF CAJEPUT externally in the area of the lungs. Oil of Cajeput comes from India, from the inner bark of a jungle tree, which must protect itself from fungus and it helps us in the same way. It is pain relieving, decongesting and antibiotic.
OIL OF CAJEPUT
To increase circulation , HERBAL ADJUSTMENT can be rubbed on the area of both the chest and back four times per day. This will help to greatly improve circulation and return the “breath of life” and kill fungus.
NOTE: Take care not to get Herbal Adjustment herbal extract or Oil of Cajeput herbal extract into the eyes or on private areas, as intense heat and stinging sensations can occur. No permanent harm will be done so please do not panic. Flushing with water helps, but time and patience are the best remedies.
To build and strengthen the lungs, take one or more of the following herbal extracts: MULLEIN, OL’ #11, YERBA SANTA, YERBA SANTA combination, or PLEURISY ROOT. Take 40 to 80 drops three times per day. NOTE: OL’ #11 can be used at the rate of 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon three to four times per day.
PLEURISY ROOT helps clear phlegm from chest and is a good digestive aid.
When you support the heart, you also help the lungs because they are close together and have related functions.
BUGLEWEED has been used successfully in hemorrhages from the lungs and bowels. This plant has the characteristic of regulating the body by relaxing some systems while working to tighten others. It has the ability to improve the tone of the heart and also improve blood circulation through the capillaries. It is a nutritional aid to balance and strengthen circulatory system function. It is used to support a weak heart in cases of extreme edema. It makes an effective cardiac tonic, stabilizing rapid, or irregular heartbeat due to a nervous condition. It is reported to be effective at arresting internal bleeding. For women, it has been successful in working to control excessive menstruation. Bugleweed has a similar body function to that of digitalis as it acts to lower and regulate the heart rate. Bugleweed is milder than digitalis but is non-toxic and does not accumulate. It is also useful when there is an enlargement of the thyroid gland.
Repair the circulation with LILY OF THE VALLEY AND BLESSED THISTLE combination and/or HTC (Heart Tonic) herbal combination.
Lily of the Valley and Blessed Thistle
To dissolve calcium deposits in the lungs , liberally apply GRAVEL ROOT or STONE ROOT to the chest and back, three to four times per day, along with HERBAL ADJUSTMENT (see above).
If you suspect “poisons” in the system, use BLACK COHOSH extract or VIRGINIA SNAKE ROOT and CCE (Cleansing Corrective Extract). If a person feels “yucky” or “terrible”, one of the benefits of using a poison antidote is that poisons that are loose and circulating in the body can be rapidly neutralized. This can also be very beneficial when using cleansing herbs. Additionally, poison antidotes detoxify the body of poisons that can cause discomfort – before it starts! Sometimes when a calcium deposit is dissolved by the GRAVEL ROOT or STONE ROOT, poisons are released, which were walled off by the body to protect itself. This may involve poisons from viruses, bacteria or a fungus which need to be neutralized.
BLACK COHOSH is called Snake Root by the American Indians because of its use for snake bites. Also, it has proven its worth for those allergic to bee stings. It breaks up mucous and phlegm deposits and also soothes local pain (can be used for headaches). It loosens and expels mucous from the bronchial tubes and stimulates the secretions of the liver, kidneys and lymph system and has a stimulating effect on the secretion of the spleen, liver and lymphatic system. Black Cohosh acts directly on the lungs, heart, stomach, kidneys and the reproductive organs. CAUTION: Not to be taken during early pregnancy, except in combination with other herbs. It can be used for final weeks of pregnancy, but only to ease and/or induce labor.
CLEANSING CORRECTIVE (CCE)
VIRGINIA SNAKE ROOT
Immune system builders can help an individual handle almost anything. Take CHUCHUHUASI and/or UNA DE GATO herbal extract.
UNA DE GATO is an anti-inflammatory agent and is good for all forms of arthritis. Avoid absorption by the tongue (Always take with water for maximum benefit.) because its benefit is enhanced when mixed with the acids in the stomach.
Include dandelion and nettles in your diet, cleansing foods that will raise resistance and vitality. In addition add chickweed, Vitamin A and carrots.
Serious disorders of the lungs and bronchii – asthma, tracheitis, pharyngitis, acute or chronic bronchitis, whooping cough – need professional attention.
CHICKWEED is used as an expectorant and an antacid.
DANDELION is a natural diuretic and digestive aid. Its high mineral content may help prevent iron-deficiency anemia. It is also a wonderful source of carotenoids, which are converted into vitamin A in the body. In fact, it has more carotenoids than carrots!
NETTLES alleviates stuffy nose, watery eyes, and other symptoms of hay fever.
VITAMIN A and D
For additional information on the following subjects, please send us an e-mail with the words ASK HERB in the subject line:
1.After using external applications to the skin to cleanse the lungs, has started to break out all over the chest, back and under the arms;
2.“Bad cells” of the lungs;
3.Breathing problems, “asthma” type problems;
4.Breathing problems: For relief of “bronchitis” type problems;
5.Bronchial cough (persistent);
6.Crisis in breathing: To open spastic breathing passages;
7.“Emphysema” type breathing problems;
8.External application to support the lungs;
9.Lungs: Labored breathing and congestion;
10.Lungs with inflamed lining;
11.Procedure for correcting lungs with “bad cell” problem;
12.Respiratory problems, hoarseness, laryngitis;
13.To sweat out “pneumonia,” “pleurisy” type problems or excess fluid in the lungs;
14.“Tuberculosis” type problems, remedy;
15.Weakened lung tissues, “bad cell” condition that is spreading and how to build better health naturally and help the lungs repair and heal;
16.Weakness of the lungs, prone to getting infections.
Listed below are some additional helpful individual herbs and combination products:
AEA herbal combination: expels fluid from lungs and/or around heart.
Ashwagandha for lung problems.
Astragalus: Repairs chronic lung problems.
Bayberry is a remedy for blood in the lungs
Bistort cuts mucous loose.
CCW repairs lungs.
Eucalyptus: Lung cleanser
Formula Twelve: Irritation
Garlic and Mullein Oil: Infectious lung problems
Horehound: Removes Mucous
Klamath Weed: Bleeding lungs
L-W: Repair damaged or congested lungs, improve lung capacity, strengthen lung tissue, cleans lungs of mucous, repairs LAS-JB (Capsules): Help breathing problems, soothe allergic attacks
Marshmallow: Lung disorders
PTB: Circulation, clears mucous congestion
Shepherd’s Purse: Bleeding from lungs
Skunk Cabbage: Lung disorders
SMF: Clean, aid function
Wheat Germ: Supports muscle function
Wild Cherry Bark: Calms, soothes, expels mucous
Wild Lettuce: Lung Irritation
Onions are good for respiratory health. For colds, put a thick slice of raw onion in a cup, pour boiling water over it and let it stand until the water has cooled a little; then strain and drink the water.
Mustard footbaths are a good way to handle coughs and colds. Take a plastic bucket, put in two heaping tablespoons of ordinary English mustard powder and half-fill the bucket with water as hot as the “patient” can stand. Keep a jug of really hot water handy, to top off from time to time. After about 10 minutes, when the feet are bright red, take them out and towel dry. Put on thick (white) cotton socks and go to bed at once. For really hot feet, put on RED cotton socks.
And don’t forget to check out our “garlic” choices. You can do this by placing the word ‘garlic’ in our search engine, which is located at the top left-hand side of our website.
NOTE: Almost all liquid herbal extracts are available in both 1-ounce and 4-ounce size.